"...walking in circles for years in a desert you eventually enter a state of mind that makes you walk a straight line, towards the sun, towards the kingdom..."

17 August 2006

Off-road...

Ok, so I'm headed out to a ger, with no Internet and no cell phone access...I love it. Though, I will probably find a way to post once a month from somewhere.

There are really only 3 big cities in Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar which may soon become "Chinghis City", Darkhan and Erdenet. UB has 1 million or so, the others about 100,000. The most sparsely populated country on the planet!

They are behind with some aspects of Western culture. For example, six year old Linkin' Park and hip-hop videos play on the TV and Britney Spears t-shirts are abundant. It's not that they have bad taste, it's just that they don't have any exposure to the good stuff. I let my little Mongolian sister listen to some U2 or Jeff Martin (of the Tea Party) and she really dug it. If only I had the time to strip Mongolia of terrible Western pop and give 'em some good stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home